Tuesday, May 27, 2008

The Yummiest Chimi's

I mentioned making chimichanga's for my freezer so I thought I would share the recipe. I got it from my neighbor. They are so good you should all run out today to buy the stuff to make them.
You can make chicken, pork or beef. I haven't made beef ones yet, but I am sure they would be yummy.
The first time I made them I found some pork roasts. This time around I couldn't find any good ones so I bought a pork loin from Sam's Club. The loin was like 2 ft long and about 4-5 inches in diameter. Cut the loin, I cut it in a little more than a half and used the bigger half. The other half I saved and cut it up and grilled it. Take the bigger half and cut it in half again . You can trim off any fat on it. Place the loin in the crock pot. (I like to use the new crock pot liners, makes it a lot easier for clean up) Add a little bit of water, a can of petite diced tomaotes, and 2 - 7 ounce cans of diced green chilies. You can use more or less chilies depending on how much heat you want. I think last time I only used 1 can and it could have used a little bit more. Then you turn your crock pot on low and cook it over night, about 10 hours*. After it is done cooking you can start pulling out the meat and it will shred really easy. Try to strain out as much of the chilies and tomatoes as you can and put in in with your meat.
Then you will need to pour some oil in a frying pan, about 1/2 inch of oil and start heating it up on med heat.
Take some flour tortilla shells, I use the Don Julio 12 inch ones from Sam's. Did you know the Don Julio brand is made across Antelope from my house at the freeport center?
I take 4 shells and heat them up in the microwave for 1 minute, just to make them easier to fold. Using a scoop or measuring cup place some of the meat in the tortilla shell. I measure so they are all filled with the same amount. Fold in the ends of the tortilla and then roll it up. Make a flour water paste and put some on the end of the tortilla as a glue to hold it closed. Place the chimi in the hot oil and fry for a minute or 2 on each side. Just so they are a little crisp. Place them on a paper towel to drain the extra oil. Let them cool. I individually wrap each one in saran wrap and then put in in a freezer bag.
To reheat place them on a baking sheet and bake just like you would a burrito. I am not sure on temp and times. They do reheat in the microwave too, about 2 minutes, one min. on each side. Then you can smother the chimi in green enchilada sauce or green taco sauce and add a dollop of sour cream. Yummy!
*It only takes about 5 hours to cook boneless skinless chicken breast until they fall apart.

If you have any questions feel free to ask. I will try to take pictures next time I make them. That might make it a little easier if you can't understand my directions.

No comments: